internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] words that should die

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <joanna.wolfe AT oup.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] words that should die
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:18:15 -0500

Sorry, to tell you this, but an entry has been drafted for nomination
as an entry to the Oxford English Dictionary.

It is likely to be in it shortly.

My nomination for words to go away is "my bad" . And I quote the OED
online here:

"my bad, int.
U.S. colloq. (orig. Sport).

Esp. among high-school students, used as an exclamation
acknowledging responsibility for an error: '(It is) my fault!' 'My
mistake!'

1986 C. WIELGUS & A. WOLFF Back-in-your-face Guide to Pick-up
Basketball 226 My bad, an expression of contrition uttered after
making a bad pass or missing an opponent. 1986 UNC-CH Campus Slang
(Univ. North Carolina, Chapel Hill) Mar., My bad, expression to admit
one has made a mistake: A: 'You did the wrong homework set for today.'
B: 'Oh, my bad.' 1993 Orlando Sentinel (Nexis) 3 Dec. C.3 The
Litterial Green Collection... Oops, my bad... A release from the
marketing hotbed of America. 1994 A. HECKERLING Clueless (Green rev.
pages) 104 Cher swerves..to avoid killing a person on a bicycle. Cher:
Whoops, my bad. 1997 Parenting Sept. 213 Sorry I lost your CD. It's my
bad. 2000 P. BEATTY Tuff iv. 47 'This is the June issue of Black
Enterprise.' 'No, not the June issue, my bad.'"

www.oed.com

Regards,
Joanna

Joanna Wolfe