internetworkers - [internetworkers] TiVo and You

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] TiVo and You
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:15:36 -0500 (EST)

In reference to Dan Wilson's message:
> When I joined this list, the contents were about interesting technology
> pieces, exciting events in the area and other such lively discussions.

> To quote Alan MacHett "Come on Feburary"

which reminds me... There was a great article ...? somewhere, I've
misplaced the link, so I'll send it along later... Anyway, the article
was about how advertising has had to change in the face of TiVo. But it
also discusses that TiVo is party to the new methods. But what really got
my attention was the blurb about tracking user habits. At first that
bugged me, but then I realized that it's not that big of a deal
considering that every Web site I visit is logging something about me.

But then I noticed the comment about TiVo noticing an X% spike in user
rewinds during the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction". Hmmmm.... now
that definitely seems like an invasion of privacy. It's one thing for a
provider to know that I'm watching a particular movie, but for them to
know, say, that I've paused on a particular scene?

And then I have to wonder about the technology. I've never had or even
seen TiVo, so I know zilch about it; but I was under the impression it was
a digital recorder. But this article makes it sound more like HBO
On-Demand...?

I know this is vague for a conversation starter, but it's on my mind now.
I'll forward the article when I find it.

-Alan