internetworkers - [internetworkers] photocopiers on Google?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] photocopiers on Google?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:27:24 -0400

Dan Smith sends his regards and this tidbit:

http://www.searchenginelowdown.com/2004/09/are-google-hackers-watching-your.html

Are Google Hackers Watching your Photocopier?
Disturbing report from ZDNet suggests that some people are using known Google-hacks to watch the information you send out over a network photocopier.

"You don't have to be a genius to do this," said Jason Hart, security director at Whitehat UK. "You can see what people are photocopying on your monitor. You just have to search for online devices on Google."

Google stores billions of Web URLs and information sent from Web servers. Some Web servers, if configured incorrectly or left to default, can accidentally broadcast network information, such as IP addresses, login details and device information. Google, like many other search engines, stores this information, which can be recalled at any time.

But don't despair, I've figured out a way to prevent this from happening again. I'm off to the photocopier to take a Xerox of my butt. Trust me, they'll never want to snoop again! ;-)
- Search Engine News by Andy Beal

  • [internetworkers] photocopiers on Google?, Thomas, 09/24/2004