internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cat Stevens is a terrorist?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cat Stevens is a terrorist?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:38:45 -0400

On Sep 21, 2004, at 11:40 PM, Alan MacHett wrote:
WTF?

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/09/21/plane.diverted.ap/index.html

Maybe I'm not old enough to recall some pertinent fact about him, but this
seems very odd to me.

No telling how he got on the list, but as the article says, he converted to Islam many years ago. I do recall that he once made statements kinda-sorta supporting the Iranian fatwa (religious death sentence) on Salmon Rushdie. Naturally, there are conflicting accounts:
http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=17121
http://catstevens.com/articles/00236/index.html

And he's been *very* active in fundraising for Muslim charities. As you've probably heard, in some of these charities there's a very hazy line between humanitarian assistance and support for militant action, so it may just be guilt by association.

Or simply a common name, and the usual bureaucratic screw-up.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/