internetworkers - [internetworkers] 419 at the mall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] 419 at the mall
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:20:56 -0400

I was wearing my 419 scam t-shirt at the University Mall in CH last night and was vigorously stopped by a woman who said a man from Nigeria was trying to buy her car, which she had placed for sale online. The man had just sent her a cashier's check for $9K more than the car was worth, and wanted her to send a check for the $9K difference.

I explained about Nigerian spammers and she was embarrassed that this type of scam was so common they had t-shirts for it :-)

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC