internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Zip Code database

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Zip Code database
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:54:33 -0400

Tony Spencer wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get a zip code database that will allow me to
calculate the distance between two zip codes?

It's a TIGER; it's a f*cking TIGER. Never get out of the boat. Never get out of the boat.

http://www.usps.com/ncsc/addressmgmt/tiger.htm

The TIGER/ZIP+4 File is a bridge file that allows mailers to access other information using the ZIP+4 Codes they already have associated with their addresses. This file provides demographers, market researchers, and offers a method to relate ZIP+4 coded address lists to Census Bureau demographic data. Now mailers can acquire Census Bureau information on latitude, longitude, tract, Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA), etc. These files make an excellent base for a geographic information system.