internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: How much to pay a housesitter?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Deborah Ellington <deborah AT invincigirl.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: How much to pay a housesitter?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:32:51 -0500

On 3/22/04 12:07 PM, Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu> wrote:

> I think I've seen questions about housesitters on this list before and
> hope for some help determining how much to pay a housesitter. She will be
> taking care of two cats for 19 days.

Is she going to be staying at your house, or just coming by once a day or
so? Giving meds or just setting out food and water? I assume she'll be
scooping/changing litter as well (I never ask anyone to do that if it's just
over a weekend, but 19 days is a long time). Or do you have one of those
automatic litterboxes?

We have an occasional pet sitter who I pay based on $10/hour, so if I only
expect her to come by once a day then I pay her $10/day. Once I needed to
leave the dog as well as the cat, and so I needed our sitter to make two
visits each day. I paid her $20/day for that week. I think that's kind of on
the low side, though.

I've never had anyone actually stay in my house so I don't have any advice
on compensation for that.

Deborah Ellington