internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The IEEE weighs in on moving jobs offshore

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Laughlin <jason AT jasonlaughlin.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The IEEE weighs in on moving jobs offshore
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:26:48 -0500

Jim Ray wrote:
"Fewer job opportunities and the downward pressures on wages that will
occur as more and more scientific and engineering jobs are shifted to
lower-cost, overseas locations are also likely to discourage many of
America's best and brightest young people from pursuing careers in
science and engineering."

Well, gee. I guess us best and brightest will have to think of new and better ways to make money then. ;-)

I'm hoping offshoring takes off even more - that way I can finally plan on doing interesting tech work while living in the Mediterranean or some South Seas paradise.

The only problem with offshoring at the moment, is that there is an inefficiency in the market such that labor isn't as free to move around as capital. When comm networks and technology are more ubiquitous, it should become feasible for us to really live anywhere we choose doing the work we want to do AND be able to order takeout from 50 diff types of ethnic cuisine. That's what globalization means to me. :-)

Jason