internetworkers - [internetworkers] Star Trek's effects on modern technology

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: Internetworkers AT happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu:"http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Star Trek's effects on modern technology
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:01:32 -0500

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/03/15/BUGO35EG1T83.DTL

I've often marveled about how well the technology on Star Trek was integrated with the crew when theorizing about new gadgets. So many engineers and designers are fans of the show that the technology from Star Trek can't help but affect today's technology:

"When I designed the UI (user interface) for the Palm OS back in '93, my first sketches were influenced by the UI of the Enterprise bridge panels,'' said Rob Haitani, product design architect for Palm-One Inc., the Milpitas firm that makes the popular handheld personal computers.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC

  • [internetworkers] Star Trek's effects on modern technology, Michael Czeiszperger, 03/15/2004