internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Transaction Log for Microsoft SQL server

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Corey Wilson <corey_wilson AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Transaction Log for Microsoft SQL server
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:56:57 -0500

Off the shelf log explorers exist for MSSQL, but I don't think they're cheap. One is made by Lumigent (http://www.lumigent.com/). I can't vouch for any one in particular, nor do I know which is the cheapest/best, but Lumigent has a trial download available which may be suitable for your purposes.

Otherwise, I'd create a new MSSQL database, copy the transaction log, run a query, get the log again, do a diff, (wash, rinse, repeat) and see if you can crack the code.

Happy Hunting...
--Corey

Joshua Gitlin wrote:

Hello Internetworkers,

I have a project that requires me to reverse-engineer some code... This code stores it's information in a Microsoft SQL database with about 250 tables. What I'd like is a way to access the Transaction Log on the server to see what SQL statements are being executed. This way I can use the program that I'm trying to reverse engineer and then view what SQL statements are being generated by my actions. Does anyone know how to view the Transaction Log on a MSSQL server? I'd even settle on how to find out when the tables were modified and I can do diffs on the table dumps...

Thanks everyone!

-Josh

Due to the recent increase in spam and falsely sent email, I now PGP Sign all of my outgoing mail to prove my identity. This means that you will see an attachment called "PGP.sig" with this message. This attachment can be used to prove that I am who I say I am. If you are not familiar with PGP, you can safely ignore it. For more information, please visit http://www.pgp.com/ or http://www.gnupg.org/