internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Tiny tech support?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zzd <zzd AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Tiny tech support?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:58:06 -0500

On Friday 27 February 2004 20:04, zman wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Alan MacHett wrote:
> > > How many Black and Tans (I call them poor man's Guinness) ...
> >
> > er, you do realize that a Black&Tan is made with Guinness...?
>
> ewww.... do you realize that a Black & Tan is an aberration. And if you
> tried to get a Black & Tan in Ireland they would most likely either laugh
> or boot you in the can.

I disagree completely. A Black & Tan [or if you prefer it sweeter, a "Sweet
Black" & Tan ] are quite common in the British Isles, although perhaps less
so in Erie (not Northern Ireland).

Many fond memories, or perhaps a lack therafter, come to mind as a friend and
myself went on an all day sweet black and tan tour of Glasgow pubs starting
from the city center then heading in a roughly westward direction until we
could take no more - took us about 8/9 hours.

The criteria were price, volume (the sweet stout came in a 12oz bottle and
some bars poured a lot more 'heavy' than others), and of course quality of
taste (provided by the type of 'heavy' and cleanliness of the beer pipes.)
I remember we decided on announcing a crummy spit and sawdust bar just off of
Sauchiehall Street (read socky-hall) about a mile short of the west end as
the prize joint, but I will be tied in eternal mental knots if I can remember
the name of the place. No fancy decor or nightlife attraction, but an
"absolute gemme bevvy hoose!"

cheers, Craig

P.S. Guiness, Murphys, Beamish, amongst others, all qualify as stouts with
which to top a Black & Tan. 'Heavy' is a generic term for a brown or tan
Scottish ale.