internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] highway dept priorities in order!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] highway dept priorities in order!
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:41:23 -0500

And you snipped the part that touched on how much this modification
cost, both in terms of time and money :

"It took 13 months to redesign and rebuild the road. Work proceeded
along other parts of U.S. 15-501 during that time, and Jones Brothers
spent about 75 working days making the changes, Tillman said.

"DOT officials will figure out how much time the contractor lost
awaiting the design changes and redoing its work. The cost to the state
will be measured in the number of days to be subtracted before DOT
tallies the contractor's late penalty, at the rate of $2,800 per
calendar day."

Wow.

--Jeremy

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 16:19, Paul Jones wrote:
> http://newsobserver.com/news/columnists/story/3339039p-2975034c.html
>
> Road altered to preserve barbecue eatery
>
> [...]
>
> In mid-2002 after much of the grading had been done, Bynum-area residents
> and small-business owners realized the new highway not only was wider than
> the old one but also about 6 feet higher.
>
> It's easy enough now for drivers to miss Allen & Son Pit Cooked
> Bar-B-Que, almost hidden behind its rusted sign down a short gravel
> driveway below U.S. 15-501.
>
> But plenty of customers find their way there, park out front and order
> barbecue to go. Some tear off the wrappers to eat their lunch while it's
> hot, standing there in the gravel parking lot.
>
> "You'd be surprised how many people come up to the take-out window and
> have no idea we have tables and chairs inside," says Rhonda Stubbs, who
> operates the restaurant with her husband.
>
> The embankment of the wider, elevated highway would have reached almost
> to the building itself, spoiling Allen & Son's take-out business. That
> concern and others were aired when DOT officials met with residents,
> business owners, Chatham County commissioners and state legislators.
>
> Then, instead of shrugging off the complaints, DOT engineers concluded
> that they could redesign the project without compromising highway safety.
>
> The contractor removed sewer pipes and other utility structures -- and
> the 5 feet of earth in which they were buried -- along more than one-half
> mile of the highway. The road was resurveyed, the utilities were
> reinstalled and grading was completed for a roadway elevation just 1 foot
> higher than the old one, instead of 6 feet.

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |