internetworkers - [internetworkers] Feb Gathering -- need help

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Feb Gathering -- need help
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:55:51 -0500

Hey,

With New Year's Day falling on a Thursday this year, we missed our
January gathering. It's been a while. Per the rotation, our next
gathering should be in Durham, but that is certainly something we can
discuss.

Anyone want to organize it? I'm out of pocket next week at a
conference...

Organizing gatherings is easy and not very stressful. Plus, you get the
accolades of all of the fellow InterNetWorkers who didn't have to do
anything to have a cool event. Here are the steps:

- Pick a place. The basic requirements are: they'll split checks for us
(very important!!), have some vegetarian food, will be able to handle us
on the first Thursday night (i.e., not too busy or small), and generally
be a place that InterNetWorkers would like to be.... am I forgetting
anything?
- Call the place, explain that a bunch of InterNetWorkers will be
showing up, explain that we can't commit to a certain number but can
give a rough estimate the day before.
- Write up an email that includes rough directions. You can point to a
map.
- Send the email to inet-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org roughly one week
before the intended gathering (Thurs., Jan 29th in this case). We'll
approve it and put the info on the web site. Then, send the same note to
internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org.
- Handle RSVPs that come in. The only thing that you really have to do
is keep a number, but it's nice to reply to the RSVPs if you have the
time.
- A couple of days before the gathering, send the announce out to the
two lists again.
- If your schedule allows, show up for the gathering. Not required,
though -- InterNetWorkers gatherings are fine without a spearhead.

Cheers!

  • [internetworkers] Feb Gathering -- need help, Michael D. Thomas, 01/18/2004