internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] odd spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Laughlin <jason AT jasonlaughlin.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] odd spam
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:16:17 -0500

Sil Greene wrote:
for a second I thought I'd discovered the monolith. the random words and numbers aren't new, but i'd never seen the big ol' matrix of chars before. --sil

Covered in Wired late last week
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,61886,00.html

Concept's still the same. The spammers are running programs that produce random chunks of text to thwart the spam filters that people run. I think it works once or twice, but then the client-side bayesian filters start filtering it correctly too. It's possible that the server side ones might have more difficulty since they process everybody's mail and would therefore be inclined to pass more varieties of words through, but running your own filter like POPfile would be more selective in what it counts as your mail and what looks like spam.

Jason