internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ergonomics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ergonomics
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:40:19 -0500

On Dec 31, 2003, at 11:34 AM, Carol Scheible wrote:

I am in desperate need of making my work area ergonomic (read: aches and
pains).

Can anyone recommend a place to buy things like ergonomic keyboards /
keyboard trays, mouses, footrests, etc. I've seen some stuff online, but
have no idea where to start.

In my experience the biggest ergonomic problem with computers is the desks aren't designed to be adjustable for height, so you end up with keyboards and computers at the wrong height, which throws your arm and neck angles off, which causes pain. Or you adjust the chair for the right height for either the keyboard or the monitor and then you're out of alignment with the floor.

One workaround for desk height is the keyboard tray, but most of the time the height of the tray isn't adjustable-- its just a sliding tray, which is useless.

So I guess the bottom line is the typical ergonomic gadgets don't really work, and the ones that are functional only work within the context of total proper ergonomic system, i.e. good posture, properly aligned monitor and keyboard, etc.

The extras I've found useful are:

1. Monitor stand to bring the monitor up to eye level so I don't have to look up or down to do most of my work.
2. A small, long piece of wood to place at the leading edge of the keyboard to give it a reverse tilt. This is required in order to facilitate a straight line along my forearms to fingers, i.e. neutral wrist angle.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC