internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Can it get any more sub-standard?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Can it get any more sub-standard?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:47:14 -0500 (EST)

...seriously, though, I'm not sure I see the EU's point. Sure, it comes
packaged with the OS, but it's not *part* of the OS; no one is required to
use it -- install your own and set it as the default: problem solved.

But then again, there's the whole issue (when did this happen before?) of
having to purchase/receive extra crap when all you really want is the OS.
And of course the other argument is the hardware company's choice of
software (how, again, did M$ bully its way into "only us"?). The masses
believe that computers come in only one flavor, Windows, while a few more
believe in two or three flavors, Windows or Mac or Linux, and it trickles
down to the very few rest of us who are aware of the vast choices and
nuances in OSs.

--Alan