internetworkers - Fwd: Re: [internetworkers] Verisign screwing with DNS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: Re: [internetworkers] Verisign screwing with DNS
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:48:30 -0400 (EDT)

I queried a friend of mine who works as a DNS sysadmin for the US House.
He didn't have much to say on the matter, but I infer that the situation
is high on their priority list.

-Alan

Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Verisign screwing with DNS (fwd)
From: "Scott Ripley" <snip>
Date: Tue, September 16, 2003 14:55
To: machett AT ibiblio.org

Dude, it's true. Type any name into nslookup and you'll get a response.
Watch:

W # nslookup
Default Server: tungsten.house.gov
Address: 137.18.255.242

> blahadsfadierf.com
Server: tungsten.house.gov
Address: 137.18.255.242

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: blahadsfadierf.com
Address: 64.94.110.11

They've really f'd up a lot of shit with this. I can't believe they didn't
think about the implications. My office-mate and I are working on ways to
block traffic to this server.

Gotta go buy rum and hurricane mix for the upcoming "party."

---
A reminder from the NSA: Do not use words like 'assassinate' and
'president' in your e-mail!