internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] RE: local music stores, was EFF petition against RIAA tactics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] RE: local music stores, was EFF petition against RIAA tactics
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:58:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov wrote:
> Personally, it's a sad day to see those stores going under. If anyone
> cares to recall, the reverse chain of ownership was Turtles -->
> Wherehouse? --> Blockbuster -->Tracks-->Record Bar.

I don't think it's such a sad day when the corporate whore record stores
go out of business. I was working at the Cameron Village Record BAr when
they got bought. Suddenly it was no hair below your collar for guys and no
jeans. It sucked. I will morn the loss of Crooked Beat and the
corporatization of Schoolkids and Record Exchange. But until the record
industry gets its head out of its rear I will continue to spend less on
CD's. You probably also remember that when CD's first came out they
claimed that prices would come back down from $10 to the $8 that albums
were selling for when the manufacturing costs were recouped. It still
hasn't happened. And CD's are cheaper to produce than albums were. I feel
that more people should just go the route of Lulu.com or other such sites
and put your music online for cheap. You still make more per sale than you
ever would via the industry.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com