internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] truly weird, does not appear to be a hoax...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] truly weird, does not appear to be a hoax...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:59:47 -0400

Just because I'm not in the mood to sign up for anything today, may I assume you are talking about the Pentagon's plan to offer a "free-market" bidding site on terrorist attacks? That was on the front page of the N&O today, and I agree, is incredibly bizarre. I grabbed this link from news.google.com

http://dc.internet.com/news/article.php/2241421

My favorite quote from the N&O article (the one that scared me the most), which, unfortunately, I can't find a link to online...

"Wyden explained it this way: 'For instance, you may think early on that Prime Minister X is going to be assassinated, so you buy the futures contracts for 5 cents each. As more people begin to think the person's going to be assassinated, the cost of the contract could go up to 50 cents. The payoff if he's assassinated is a dollar per future. So if it comes to pass, and those who bought at 5 cents make 95 cents. Those who bought at 50 cents make 50 cents.'"

The very real fear of critics of the plan is that terrorists will go ahead and bid on stuff they plan to do, then cash in when they do it. Speaking of which, I just re-read an eerily prophetic book that came out in Sept 2001 (and was set in early Sept 2001) about a real bastard of a terrorist. Unfortunately, this is a Scottish author who is not really available in the States, but I would encourage anyone interested in biting satire and beautifully written rants to check this out:

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/book6.htm

I especially recommend reading the extract (there's a link from above) - but not if you are still likely to be upset and sensitive to anything reminiscent of Sept 11th. Remember, this was written before. Craig couldn't read the book until this year, largely because of this first chapter. He just had to set it aside.

Cheers!

Diana