internetworkers - [internetworkers] FBI strikes again!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] FBI strikes again!
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:14:39 -0400

There's a column in the Charlotte edition of Creative Loafing recounting the author's experience of being interrogated by the FBI because some vigilant citizen had reported him for reading a Hal Crowther article in a local Starbuck's Coffee.

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/newsstand/current/news_feature.html

"Then Trippi decides to level with me: "I'll tell you what, Marc. Someone in the shop that day saw you reading something, and thought it looked suspicious enough to call us about. So that's why we're here, just checking it out. Like I said, there's no problem. We'd just like to get to the bottom of this. Now if we can't, then you may have a problem. And you don't want that.""

It isn't quite clear to me whether these were genuine FBI agents or just local law enforcement members of the FBI ThoughtCrime Task Force playing wannabe. You decide.

TaB

  • [internetworkers] FBI strikes again!, Beckett, 07/21/2003