internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Info on cell phones needed

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ed Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Info on cell phones needed
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:06:44 -0700

I think you're right, there probably are a
>zillion choices
and I certainly "share your pain." It's definitely mind boggling (...and that's describing it in a way that's fit for polite company;-)

I don't know if it qualifies as "
>Any recommendations on websites/other info sources
but you might enjoy this article.
"Switching cell phone carriers? Read this first!"
David Coursey,
Executive Editor, AnchorDesk
Wednesday, June 11, 2003
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2914025,00.html

...OK, I have Alltel. I like it alright. I almost switched plans to get a lower monthly rate, but then didn't. I'm glad now, because I realize I'll be able to use the cell phone when I travel this summer and the "national" plan means I won't have to pay the severe roaming charges. But actually trying to understand these plans, I mean, actually reading them, it's material that could stun an ox from 500 yards %-)

The 1 or 2 year contracts are a little intense and certainly keep the customers from switching and trying out other cell phone companies (which I'd certainly like to do!). I think if the cell phone service is good in the area where you make most of your calls, then the companies are pretty similar. So you can't go wrong.
All said, I'm probably a phoneaholic. I love my cell phone, never leave home without it!
Be fearless (and anxietyless, if that's possible) in your search. Good hunting....
Ed Wesolowski

At 11:18 AM 6/19/03 -0400, you wrote:
Well, it has come to this - I need to get a cell phone and contract.
Frankly, there seems to be a zillion choices and I am boggled.

Any recommendations on websites/other info sources that offer a
reliable, current, and comprehensive overview of this topic?

TIA,
Kate