internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Tamales

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rthigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Tamales
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:53:36 -0400

What good Mexican restaurants are around RTP? The very good one near Carrboro, sadly, closed down.

If you're talking about El Chilango!, the owner has reopened with a smaller joint out west on 54.

<http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/35695469/>

There's always the burrito joints: Carrburritos, Burrito Bunker, Cosmic Cantina, Baja Burrito. Not fine dining exactly, but big, tasty, nutrious, bellybombs for very little $$$.

If you're looking for authentic tacos and such, there are a number of good taquerias in the area, thanks to our burgeoning latin population. They are usually pretty humble, but the food can be quite great. In RTP, try the Carne Asada and Pastor tacos at Carniceria Toledo. In Raleigh check out the Papa Rellena, Burritos and tacos at Tacqueria Mi Mexico on Peace Street and pretty much anything on the menu at El Mandado on Atlantic.

On the "been meaning to check out because I hear they're good" list are La Rosa Linda and that concentration of places on Roxboro Rd. in Durham.

If anyone else has any pointers, I'd love to hear them. I'm still trying to find a local source that can approximate the fried beef taco I had in Santa Cruz.

--rt