internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] using a cell phone as a modem

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Brian Godfrey <brian.godfrey AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] using a cell phone as a modem
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:08:54 -0400

I've done it a few times w/ PC laptops and in my experience it wasn't all
that exciting. I could only get
a 33.6 connection on a really good day and most of the time it was 14.4.
Depending on
your phone all you need is a connection from your phone to the laptop and the
phone itself will act
as the modem/fax machine. My Nokia 6185 acts as both modem/fax w/ the
optional data cable.
Not sure which other phones do it.

I honestly wouldn't recommend doing this as that the performance just isn't
there. Unless you are
always in a airport or away from a land line/LAN connection there isn't a
need. If you travel a lot
look into a ISP like Earthlink that has local access numbers everywhere.