internetworkers - [internetworkers] I knew someone would defend the CHPD

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ben Brunk <brunkb AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] I knew someone would defend the CHPD
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:44:01 -0400

Law enforcement is a thankless job that puts good people in harms way. I
know many officers and I can tell you that most of them are just like you or
me. Most of them are good people, who care about their jobs and do their
utmost to uphold the law and uphold their oath to serve and protect. If 95%
of the people at your company are good people, then I'd venture that about
95% of law enforcement is as well. The difference between them and you or
is that we don't do our jobs under the continual scrutiny of the press and
by individuals with an axe to grind. And we aren't met by hostility and
resentment each time we attempt to do our job.

I knew someone would come to rescue of the cops here, it is inevitable that every time that the police overstep their boundaries, we get some acolyte who reminds us how thankless the job is and how over-scrutinized they are and how we need not question their gestapo tactits. Working at a gas station is a thankless job, too, but nobody ever praises our brave gas station clerks whose statistical risk of getting murdered on the job is far higher than any police officer's. We just take gas station clerks for granted and we don't even have to pay taxes for them! Because police are "good people" I am not comforted, given that every goofball idiot I went to high school with wanted to be a cop because they thought it would be exciting and got off on having unquestionable authority because nobody payed any attention to them otherwise. We place some questionable people in a position of power over us, and ignore that fact that it can have a corrupting influence on them. That's why I cringe whenever I hear things like "only the military and police should have guns." Yeah, right, becuase they're so responsible and none are alcoholics, drug users, wife beaters or crooked. Sure!

The police are far too under-scrutinized. Most of the time, the media is on their side no matter how egregiously they screw up and even when they do get taken to task, it is a slap on the wrist. It is absolutely necessary that the police be scrutinized and kept accountable given that they have such power over us and can take away our freedom at the slightest pretext. We damn well better complain when local officers get absorbed into the federal machine because if we don't, we lose the all-important accountability that is supposedly guaranteed when we elect a mayor and town council. You will find that many other officers are on various federal task forces, most of them dealing with drugs. I think Chapel Hill needs a citizen review board to review their conduct and their policies, not only in this case, but also in general matters such as the installation of those wretched stop-light camera money grabbing machines. But a review board will only work if it is made up of skeptics and not cheerleaders who just rubber-stamp whatever they do.

I think all these task forces on cybercrime are pretty much a waste of time. Two years ago at Duke, the FBI cybercrime people came around and gave a seminar about their "services." It left me feeling as though they were just out trying to drum up work to do. They were begging local companies to open up about hacking incidents so they would have something to investigate. Now here come two new recruits looking to make a name for themselves and impress the real feds and they show just how dumb an idea the whole thing really is. None of this would be happening except for the wild hysteria over all things terroristic and technological and the police unions taking advantage of people's naive fears to justify an across the board increase in the ranks of the police AT OUR EXPENSE.

Ben Brunk