internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 10 Unpronounceably Fun Words!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 10 Unpronounceably Fun Words!
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:50:12 -0400

On Monday 19 May 2003 09:2121pm, David R. Matusiak wrote:
> To sate the new-info-coming-in needs of the Lint Queen --
>
> http://encarta.msn.com/list/10WordsYouSimplyMustKnow.asp

What's wrong with the first 4 words? The journalist?

> how can "cullet" be a word? or even "embrangle"??

Well, my friend, when you let those strange people that dress funny to
hold all of the seats at the "Prince George and His Buttler Black
Adder's Institute of English Language and Gramaticae for Underscrogmen
Like Baldrich" to choose select words for Dr Samuel Johnson's
Dictionary [1], you *knew* what could happen: cullet, embrangle....

> dave m.
> ...who didn't know "stomach rumble" had a technical term

[1] Some samples from Dr Samuel Johnson's Dictionary, circa 1799:

lady: "a female gentleman"
lea: "That part of a sauce which is not a perrins"
leapfrog: "any frong born on 29 February"
leek: "a long, thin Welsh tomato"
left behind: "part of the sitting apparatus of a personage"
legend: "the part of a leg not in the middle"

I must stop now :)

Salut,
Josep
--