internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] for all you TW/AOL fans!!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rthigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] for all you TW/AOL fans!!
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:06:30 -0400

Gina Norman wrote:

As I read it, Hannibal had best R-rated "opening" with "opening" undefined at $58 mil., while Spidey had best opening *day* "gross" at $39.2 mil. So, in order to have the "Record-breaking" opening *day*, Matrix Reload's gross would have to be >$39.2, which it was at $42.5.
any movie buffs got terminology definitions to share?

Box office "weekends" are usually defined as Fri-Sat-Sun. Opening weekends might also include Thu. night, not sure.

R-rated movies typically gross much less than wider audience fare, with teen crowds being a big part of the market.

The Hannibal figure is for an opening weekend. I wouldn't have guessed that it would be the record holder.

Keep in mind that these aren't inflation adjusted USD, so ET at $4.00 theoretically may have seated more viewers than Spidey at $7.50

see:
<http://www.the-numbers.com>
<http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/weekly/2001/20010209.html>

--rt