internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] oddmusic.com

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] oddmusic.com
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 09:53:26 -0400 (EDT)

Awesome!! I love the instrument gallery. The pencilina is a really
cool-sounding instrument. But the bazantar
(http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om06200.html) is really crazy -- a
5-string upright bass with an extra 33 strings. Makes me wonder how hard
it would be to do the mod.... :)
(Side note: I have to take issue with their claim that the 7' contrabass
sax is the "biggest woodwind in the world". First, I've seen pics of a 3m
(10') contrabass recorder; and second, is a sax really a "woodwind"?)

If you're into weird instruments, check out a book/cd combo called
"Gravikords Whirlies & Pyrophones", written (the book part) by Bart
Hopkins. All kinds of fun things represented, theramin included.

--Sil

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Beth wrote:

> Neato. Including things like Didjeridu Planet 3.
>
> http://www.oddmusic.com
>
> "A source for unique & experimental music, instruments, players, &
> listeners.
>
> Showcasing the sounds, music, and instruments of artists and artisans from
> around the globe. From gourd music to electronic odysseys, harp guitars to
> industrial insect metal, from the beautiful to the bizarre."
>
> Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.
> - Confucius

> Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days!
> http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380
>
> Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 free of charge. Download Now!
> http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promo=380455

"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)
*&* Sil_Greene AT unc.edu *&* ICQ Silauren #36430811 *&*