internetworkers - Fwd: RE: [internetworkers] Broadband question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ids AT idisplay.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: RE: [internetworkers] Broadband question
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:38:35 -0400

Jay, you may be right about
The broadband market in South Korea appears to be following some US trends:
http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-20905552-0.html
http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-21098684-0.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1034-996804.html
I'm wondering if this is just churn in the market? I do have to admit, tho, that I was suspicious about the Wired article taking so much of it's information from "Jin-wook Son, managing director of Korea Telecom UK."
"Korean Housewives Want Speedy Net" (Wired, 1/1/03)
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,56525,00.html

But the Wired piece is talking about Korea Telecom. The ones filing for bankruptcy are Korea Thrunet Co., Ltd. and "Onse."
....what does it all mean?-)
I wonder if Wired did a follow-up on this... Or is failure in a government subsidized broadband venture not as geek sexy?:)

I'd be interested to see a Wired follow up on broadband in SK! It looks to me like broadband to the home here is the name-of-the-tune. How it gets to the home, and the price, and penetration and when this happens, uh, welcome to telecommunications industry and regulation in the U.S.!

Ed Wesolowski

Is there an INW member (phone/cable company employee...) I could speak with about
"Most pay about $33 monthly for an 8 megabit-per-second connection."
This is from a Wired article about broadband in South Korea: http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,5>6525,00.html

Is all broadband to the home in the U.S. about 1M? Why?

The broadband market in South Korea appears to be following some US trends:

http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-20905552-0.html
http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-21098684-0.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1034-996804.html

I wonder if Wired did a follow-up on this...
Or is failure in a government subsidized broadband venture not as geek sexy?
:)

--
Jay Cuthrell, CTO
NeoNova Network Services, Inc.