internetworkers - [internetworkers] Internet trust

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: machett AT ibiblio.org
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Internet trust
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:46:18 -0500

yet another reason not to trust everything you hear or read:

from p.8 of the March 24th Newsweek magazine:
"As part of the public opinion war, ... Soldiers based in Qatar have been
chatting with radio talk shows in their hometowns and joining Internet chats
on Web sites from oprah.com to bbcnews.com"

Having spent 5+ years at Fort Bragg, allow me to translate that for you:
...Psychological Operations soldiers based in Qatar have been disseminating
meticulously planned disinformation, cleverly disguised as "hometown hero"
messages from the front, to radio stations and internet chat rooms.

Oh! and I heard on the news last night that, as part of the newly implemented
Operation Liberty Shield [
http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=43&content=519 ], the Feds will be
monitoring the Internet for signs of attacks. Hmmmm... so, like, the ENTIRE
Internet, or just specific parts, say people's email???

just preaching,
Alan