internetworkers - [internetworkers] Project Acoustic Kitty

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Michael Winslow Czeiszperger)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Project Acoustic Kitty
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:05:43 -0500

All this talk about conspiracy theories has got me wondering... Hmm...
I wonder if anyone's every implanted microphones and transmitters
inside an animal, say a CAT perhaps?

From the book The Wizards of Langley: Inside the CIA's Directorate of
Science and Technology

"In a project known as "Acoustic Kitty" the Directorate of Science and
Technology sought to train a surgically altered cat, wired with
transmitting and control devices, to become a mobile, eavesdropping
platform. In its first test, the cat was run over by a taxi. According
to Victor Marchetti:

"They slit the cat open, put batteries in him, wired him up. The tail
was used as an antenna. They made a monstrosity. They tested him and
tested him. They found he would walk off the job when he got hungry, so
they put another wire in to override that. Finally, they're ready. They
took it out to a park bench and said "Listen to those two guys. Don't
listen to anything else - not the birds, no cat or dog - just those two
guys!" ... They put him out of the van, and a taxi comes and runs him
over. There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the
cat was dead!"

The Book:
http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/perseus-cgi-bin/display/0-8133-6699-2

Links to CIA documents