internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Re: New Urbanism

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Re: New Urbanism
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:27:03 -0500

>The result is that the people who live there
>work somewhere else and the people who work there live somewhere else.

>I must confess that, as a libertarian, the notion of urban "planning"
>does tend to get my hackles up

The interesting thing is that to achieve some of the visionary urbanist
designs it would actually require less regulation. For instance modifying or
removing zoning restrictions of the separation of commerce and housing would
allow development of buildings that are ground floor commerce/office and
upstairs flats/apartments. Work one place, live right above it. ;

Some of the other recommendations of Suburban Nation that of adapting
architectural master plans for the buffer zones around the city are a bit
heavy handed. It's an idealist book, but thought provoking about how we
live, and worth reading to consider long-term issues and how they impact us
individually day by day (less sprawl = less taxes to support more
infrastructure). There are six copies in circulation in the Wake Library
System.

Stewart Brand's How buildings Learn: what happens after they're built also
touches on some of these long term zoning/livability issues.

- SL