internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: vegetarian chili

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Snow Tempest <snowtempest AT snowtempest.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: vegetarian chili
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 21:09:32 -0800

Hi --

I'm still on this list, even though I pretty much stopped posting after
moving to Los Angeles two years ago.

The chili thread has moved me to post.

Here is a recipe for a very delicious black bean and vegetable chili.
Despite having grown up in Texas and not even being vegetarian, I don't
really like chili with meat in it. They probably wouldn't even take me
back. This is good in any case. This recipe is from the Houston
Chronicle about 12-13 years ago:

Black Bean and Vegetable Chili

1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup picante sauce
1 + 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
1 (16 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or cook dried beans, my
preference)
1 each: green and red bell peppers, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (yellow,
orange, purple, etc. also fine)
1 large yellow squash or zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks (2 cups)

Optional toppings: hot cooked rice, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream,
shredded cheese, tortilla chips

In a large saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender. add tomatoes,
picante sauce, cumin, salt, and basil. cover and simmer 5 minutes. stire
in beans, peppers, and squash; cover and simmer until vegetables are
tender, about 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls; top as desired. Serve with
additional picante sauce.

Makes 8 servings, about 8 cups chili.

Happy New Year!

Snow Tempest

p.s. Heather, Felicia at A Yoga Studio is pretty good. I went to her
class twice when I had a gift certificate. Her music choices are a tad
New Age but she's pretty straightforward.
http://www.ayogastudio.com/

  • [internetworkers] Re: vegetarian chili, Snow Tempest, 01/06/2003