internetworkers - [internetworkers] Ice yukkiness

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gina Norman" <gina.norman AT nortelnetworks.com>
  • To: "'internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Jeff Bacon (E-mail)" <bacon AT twinight.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Ice yukkiness
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:00:05 -0500

Title: [internetworkers] Ice yukkiness

So, today I went into work.  Many many messages.  And heat!  :)

I lost power sometime in the wee hours of Thursday morning.  The funny thing is that I have a gas fireplace in my master bedroom... but since it had a wall switch, I figured it wouldn't work.  Jeff was trying to figure out some way to override it...we'd gotten as far as taking the doors off and Jeff had unscrewed the switch from the wall when he switched it by accident.  Imagine my surprise when -- *poof* -- I had fire!  I am still not quite sure how it can be a switch and work without any electrical juice at all -- magnetic switch?  bimetallic switch?  I am happy calling it my "Magic Fireplace."  As long as I keep the bedroom door shut, the back of the house stays habitable.

I spend yesterday writing Christmas cards and knitting.  We even figured out how to use my fondue set, which has an alcohol burner, to heat a kettle of water for tea.

One truly fortuitous thing is that my car *didn't* get smushed (as it would've if it had stayed in the driveway where I parked it) thanks to Jeff's timely intervention in the middle of the night.  Whew!

My yard currently looks like it's a giant pine forest... only it's all 6" tall.  :(   Many much clearing activities to do.  If TROSA, my new yard folks (thanks for whoever sent that recommendation for moving -- they do yards too!), can't clear my yard 'cause they're too busy with commercial work, maybe we could do a yard-cleaning swap w/in INW?  Have "parties" of 5-6 ppl go around and clear out each of the participants yards in turn?  (Over the course of a weekend or two or three?) Followed by dinner out somewhere?  I know that there's no way I'll be able to clear my yard by myself -- some of the branches are 8-10" in diameter and 20 feet long.  Sigh.  All the little trees look so sad with their heads bent over.

Hope everyone is safe and warm,

Gina

Gina Norman
Senior Manager, Global Web Governance
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com
919-905-4801 (ESN 355)
http://www.nortelnetworks.com

  • [internetworkers] Ice yukkiness, Gina Norman, 12/06/2002