internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Very cheap PC needed (temporarily?)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Very cheap PC needed (temporarily?)
  • Date: 17 Oct 2002 10:59:48 -0400

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 09:52, Dan Caugherty wrote:
> Hey all --

Howdy,

> I have a sudden crisis that needs to be resolved, and soon.
> Here's the situation: I'm currently taking the grad-level
> operating systems course at NCSU, and I'm part of a group
> whose semester project needs to obtain timing statistics for
> BSD's Fast File System. I have the hard drive, the OpenBSD
> disks are on the way, but.. I suddenly need a PC for this.

> Would anyone know where I could buy one at
> unemployed-hacker prices? Or borrow one?

> (Yes, I could just work on the State campus, but I'm in Cary,
> and I'd like to hack & rebuild the FS code from time to time.)

> If I can borrow one, that would be great -- the only
> peripheral I'll need is the keyboard.

> If I need to buy one, that's okay, so long as it would make
> a nice Red Hat-based file server for our place someday.
> But for the short term, a monitor isn't necessary.

> Note that in each case, a hard drive isn't required
> (already got one ready to go).

> TIA,

Have you checked the Walmart Lindows PC? $199 for a 800MHz, 10G, 128MB
RAM PC. Comes with usb ports, cd-rom, network card, keyboard and
monitor. No modem nor floppy drive inlcuded. Also, the VIA CPU is pretty
cool (as in temperature), so the fan is small AND the noise is low.
Yippie!

It's the ultimate El Cheapo PC. Works great as workstation. We have some
at work. Maybe it will take a little to get delivered: it's in high
demand (or so it seems by the waiting period).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1957333&cat=41937&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937

With more money, you can go for non-OS Microtel PCs or with the
Mandrake-pre-installed Microtel PCs (from $391.00). Lately, it was
cheaper to get RAM through Crucial and order the PCs with no RAM.

Of course, removing Lindows and getting a more professional OS (Linux,
*BSD...) is pretty simple.

Also, you might well try Second Wind PCs.
http://www.secondwindpcs.com/

Salut,
Josep
--