internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] tech circus -- reviews?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dan Caugherty <caffeine1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] tech circus -- reviews?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:10:48 -0400

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 06:39 PM, Linda Watson wrote:

Did anybody go? Could it possibly be worth $20 for just the last day?

Well, I worked the floor for the past 3 days. Want the inside scoop?
Laced with boatloads of opinions, all of which are free? Here you go:

First and foremost: this was a BETA, not a RELEASE version.
Everybody involved knew that yes, there would be problems,
as one would expect with any new show. The Lulu staff wants
to make the Circus bigger and better, *if* the geek community (e.g. you)
is willing to provide feedback, to attend, and to spread the word.
With any luck, this first Circus will be the smallest.

As for climate control, well, that was beyond our control
too. The Jim Graham Building has no air conditioning except
in one corner (where we had keynotes and music exhibits).
Next year, so I hear, the state gummint will get around to
installing A/C. Hey, those of us in yellow shirts were wilting too.

Most of us on the temporary staff are either students, unemployed
tech folks, or both. As for myself, I've had a love affair with
technology for most of my life, as most of us who worked the floor
have had. (And as sure as you are a member of this list, so have you.)
The idea of getting involved with an effort with "Take Back Technology"
as one of its slogans was quite appealing, regardless of the tasks.
(I was the only cashier in the Triangle brandishing business cards this
weekend. Or so I hope.) The pay wasn't great -- and we were told up
front that it wouldn't be -- but many of us thought it would be cool to
be involved anyway. Tech is fun; why leave it to marketroids in khakis?

Okay, I'm rambling: if you attended, thank you. If you also proffered
feedback, or will do so, to any of us.. thank you very much! The
Circus needs your input to keep improving.

l8r,

+--Dan Caugherty ------------caffeine1 AT nc.rr.com------+
| "Jesus loves you.. in that outfit." |
| |