internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] first shopping cart

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris Hedemark <chris AT yonderway.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] first shopping cart
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:30:36 -0400

I think the first shopping cart preceded the web boom.

Back in my BBS days, I remember popular software packages like Wildcat! and MajorBBS had optional shopping cart modules, and this was probably around 10 years ago so your search will have to go back at least that far. These usually allowed online payment with a credit card, but AFAIK everything was sent in the clear since you would have to sniff the phone line to get a credit card number and while that is probably possible for someone who is really determined, there were much easier ways to get credit card numbers.

A lot of these early shopping cart systems didn't always have a merchant account to call into for credit card authorization, so the sysops without merchant accounts would have to phone orders in with telecheck or something similar.