internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Internship from Scratch (Paul Cory)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Emily Stambaugh <stambae AT wfu.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Internship from Scratch (Paul Cory)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:20:48 -0400

Hi Paul,

So glad you posted this. You need a librarian - master of content
management, including e-content management!

There are two large schools of Information and Library Science in your
area, one at UNC Chapel Hill (http://www.ils.unc.edu)
and one at North Carolina Central University
(http://www.nccu.edu/index1.shtml). Both are potential departments that
you should post your job/internship position to. Students in these
programs not only develop the skills to manage content in all of its
forms (print, electronic, etc.) but the technical skills to organize and
access it (indexing, abstracting, subject analysis, electronic access
via website design, database development, programming in many
languages, etc.)

At SILS UNC contact Marcia Tauber and check out the site:
http://www.ils.unc.edu/html/4_employ_resources.shtml link to Employer
Information.

At SILS NCCU, I'm not sure who you contact, but if you call the
departmental office, they can guide you in the right direction:
http://www.nccuslis.org/

There are many ways of setting up an internship. The ones I typically
saw posted to the job-list at UNC-CH when I was a student there were for
10-15 hours per week, Sept-Dec. or Jan-May, the skills you're looking
for pay $10-13 per hour, some with benes (healthcare and payroll can be
arranged through the department, talk with the department administrator
who works as a liaison to employers about that).

Some students can take a few credits as Independent Study projects
("practicums") and may work for pay or not, depending upon how you
announce it. But, again, for the skills you're looking for, you'll
probably need to pay some type of wage.

--

Emily Stambaugh
Collection Development Librarian