internetworkers - [internetworkers] Internship from Scratch

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <pwcory AT mindspring.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Internship from Scratch
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:06:43 -0400

I am exploring what it would take to set up a small internship program at my workplace (Wake County Public School System Communications Department, Website division). The hypothetical intern would help with Website programming, content conversion and Web server administration.

I am basically starting from zero here. So I have a bunch of questions:

1) Do local universities and community colleges offer any assistance in setting up/recruiting for internship programs? If so, who would I contact?

2) When I was in school, in the UNC Journalism program, you could do a "practicum" for credit. If that is still an option, what would be the general outlines of what would be expected out of me as the Intern's manager? Who could I contact for more information?

3) Pay - what's the going rate for interns in this area and for the work mentioned? Is there such a thing anymore as the unpaid intern? I am pushing the idea of a paid intern, but with the budget as tight as it is, pay, or adequate pay, may not be an option.

4) What are the accepted time frames for internships? 3 months? 6 months? Semester? Year? Season (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring)?

Thanks in advance for the help. The more information I get, the better case I will be able to make for starting an internship program.

Paul