internetworkers - [internetworkers] daily musing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] daily musing
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:19:31 -0400

09.18.02

Today during lunch I finished reading the first non-technical book I've read in years. The book is Ishmael and it was written over a decade ago by Daniel Quinn. It was recommended to me by a friend who could see that my faith in the world had been irreparably shattered.

To say that Ishmael restored my lost faith would be incorrect, however, within this simple story lie several examples of universal wisdom and these at least give me some hope. Ishmael captures your attention from the outset by seeking pupils with "an earnest desire to save the world" and then takes you on a thought-provoking journey to examine the nature of <i>how things came to be this way</i>.

What is meant by "how things came to be this way" is the fact that the world is quickly running out of the necessary resources to provide for our extravagance. If we continue to push other life forms to the brink of extinction, while attempting to consume all the world has to offer within our lifetimes, then surely this whole amazing system will collapse. And this collapse could occur within the next generation or two.

One key element of the book is the harrowing reminder that we are not the only creatures on this planet. In modern man's endless quest to conquer and control, we have achieved bitter success to the detriment of all other forms of life. A truly stable environment is not only composed of humankind and whatever food we are able to produce. The Community of Life has been trying to teach us this for thousands of years.

While I definitely think it would behoove you to read this book for yourself, I will attempt to summarize what I think to be the most relevant and dire points.

* Be aware that you are merely another living creature on this planet. While higher intelligence does provide you with additional capabilities, it also imbues you with greater responsibility.

* No human should attempt to wield the power of life and death over another.

* If you are going to take faith in myths, you should at least be willing to research them - lest you not know the origin of anything.

* The quest for "one true way to live" is a flawed concept. No one person, document, religion, or government has the answer to this question. There are as many successful "ways to live" as there are snowflake designs.

And the things I took away from the book on a personal level include:

* Consume only that which you need to sustain life, so that others may have the same opportunity.

* Do not attempt to exert so much control over things, as the world is far too dynamic for this to be possible.

* Fear, guilt and intimidation are not the best or most effective motivators of people. Instead, you must convincingly present a more beneficial alternative.

I have many favorite passages from the text, but one that stands out is this:

"You want a program? Then here is a program: The story of Genesis must be reversed. First, Cain must stop murdering Abel. This is essential if you're to survive. The Leavers are the endangered species most critical to the world -- not because they're humans but because they alone can show the destroyers of the world that there is no <i>one right way</i> to live. And then, of course, you must spit out the fruit of that forbidden tree. You must absolutely and forever relinquish the idea that you know who should live and who should die on this planet."

Lastly, the book offers a web URL (www.ishmael.com) where you are encouraged to connect with other readers of the book. When I got there, one of the first things I noticed was "War on Iraq? NO!" and followed the link. This is a promotion for a book that was produced in about three days and it purports to have excellent arguments for not going to war with Iraq. I cannot support these claims without having read the book, however, one of the review links led me to (www.mobylives.com) where I was able to read perhaps the most interesting take on poetry that I have ever seen. Left-hand side of the page, under "From the Archives" and titles "WHY." About mid-way down, you see:

"Perhaps people realized, even if it was difficult to understand, that poetry was a valuable and insightful way to consider issues — a way that dealt with emotions and the murkier aspects of a story that defied categoric identification. After all, poetry doesn't necessarily lend itself to dead–on description — it thrives on indirection, on searching for deeper and more widespread connections with a subject."

And now I know why poetry has value.

I welcome discussion (online or off) on Ishmael, Quinn, poetry, and/or any of the URLs or ideas presented. Hope you are having a nice Wednesday.
dave m.