internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Size Equals Safety Myth

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Size Equals Safety Myth
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:44:27 -0400

On Monday, August 26, 2002, at 05:06 PM, Ron Thigpen wrote:

Just saw this interesting statistical comparison study of two types of road risk by vehicle type. Results speak for themselves.

What we already knew: big vehicles increase risk to others. What is often disputed: big vehicles don't guarantee less risk for their occupants.

Even for those willing to discard the risk to others, pickups and SUVs don't look like the best safety choice.

I realize this post is old, but I came across a new study in Parents Magazine that said that 28% of vehicle related child deaths are from rollovers, and SUV's are twice as likely to roll as a car. They had an anecdotal story about a woman who swerved to miss hitting something and rolled her SUV, and her child was killed.

Safety is often cited as a reason for parents to purchase SUVs, and yet it appears that they aren't the best choice if the safety of children is a concern.

Michael Czeiszperger
czei AT webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance, Inc.
9207 Baileywick Road, Suite 203