internetworkers - [internetworkers] How Al-Qaida Site Was Hijacked (link)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] How Al-Qaida Site Was Hijacked (link)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:56:20 -0400

I'm not sure I'd term this as a hack, but hey, no more online chat for those
terrorists...

How Al-Qaida Site Was Hijacked

A Maryland hacker used simple Web tools like whois and traceroute -- as well
as online translation software and an anti-cybersquatting service -- to take
over the domain name of al-Qaida's website. And he's ready to do it again.

<snip/>

When al-Qaida tried to move the domain, Messner struck. "After they pushed it
out of the Malaysian registry but before it entered the Indian registry, in
that split second the domain became exposed, and Snapback intercepted the
transfer and put my info in there," Messner said.

<snip/>

Messner's motive? He said he made a decision after Sept. 11: "I was going to
use every skill I had to screw up the terrorists' communication in any way I
could."

<snip/>