internetworkers - Re: [Juglist] calling all socket gurus!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Juglist] calling all socket gurus!
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:39:47 -0400

At 07:57 PM 6/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
Chris Merrill wrote:
> 3. We have the ability in our application to dump the
> exact bytes sent to/from the browser and server into
> files. We have been able to verify that the content
> that our proxy returns to the browser is identical when
> the request fails and succeeds.

Do you mean you are able to see the ASCII bytes which comprise
the HTTP exchanges?

If it were my problem I'd want to look at the lower-level
exchanges, in sub-HTTP protocols -- the TCP, IP, or whatever
the machines use to negotiate closing sockets.

I agree with Rich. It seems to me that your next step is to look at the ip packets as they flow back and forth so you can get a good picture of the TCP connection flows. I'd be willing to bet that you start seeing differences between the good and bad scenarios at that point.

Calvin Powers current events
mailto:calvin AT cspowers.com cultural phenomena
http://www.cspowers.com/ true stories
"The revolution will not be televised." http://www.StuckInTraffic.com/

  • Re: [Juglist] calling all socket gurus!, Calvin Powers, 06/12/2002