internetworkers - RE Logo Liscencing on the Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: froglips AT sprintmail.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE Logo Liscencing on the Internet
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:00:10 -0400

Thought I'd comment too!

I'm sort of a closet Anime (Japanese animation) fan (not yet Otaku class but
getting there).

I've read some books on the subject and was shocked to find out that in
Japan, the
fan's are not only encouraged, they are not sued into oblivion for their
obsession.

The studios in Japan actually realized that fans are the ones who support
the works they sell.

In the US, the "rule" is, you can have/show fansubs or pirated copies of Anime
series not available in the US. When the US version is available, the fansub
should be erased.

It seems that when there is a two way street, everyone wins.

Alas, as Disney gets into the fray, fans are loosing ground. But, there are a
lot of non-Disney US distributors of Anime, so for now, we are holding ground.

This anit-fan stance of these big companies and their legal staff only hurts
the little guy. Paramount, Lucas, Fox, and now VW comes to mind.

I'm sure that VWoA is not going to have to go out of business due to
competition in the "clocks made out of old VW Bus hubcaps" market.

As a VW owner, albeit a new one, I must say this leaves a bad taste in
my mouth.

Isn't the bottom line they are "protecting their brand"? Well, IMHO, this has
done considerable damage to the VW brand.

Maybe, just maybe, they should consider spending this money and time on
improving
their products. So, when it comes time to choose a vehicle, you can make a
decision
based on quality.

I know when I picked a VW (to replace a Chevy), it had nothing to do with "how
well do they protect their brand and logos".

But, rest assured, I'll remember this the next time I choose a new car.

Arrghh

Jim