internetworkers - A year of service to start the NC Help Desk???

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Judy Hallman <hallman AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: A year of service to start the NC Help Desk???
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:11:08 -0400 (EDT)

To Triangle Internetworkers:

Attempts to get grants to support the NC Help Desk have not been
successful yet. We are ready to start the service. It's going to be
difficult without any full-time staff.

RTPnet _has_ been successful in recruiting Americorps*VISTA workers to
perform useful services in support of NC community technology centers.

If you know of anyone who might be interested in working as an
Americorps*VISTA for a year (starting in August or later) to help start
the Help Desk, would you please have them send me a resume
(hallman AT rtpnet.org)? VISTA workers are paid about $750/month by
Americorps.

It would also be good if they could attend the conference coming up May 21
(see http://www.rtpnet.org/rtpconf/) to meet representatives of community
technology centers and schools who will be served by the Help Desk.
Jerry Winegarden, Technical Support, Office of Information Technology,
Duke University, and RTPnet Board of Directors, will describe how the Help
Desk will work and demonstrate the tracking system. [The tracking system
will have immediate benefit for keeping track of requests that Jerry and I
and others are getting.]

I'd be glad to talk with anyone who might be interested in serving as an
RTPnet VISTA.

And, of course, you are all welcome to attend the conference!