internetworkers - Re: fighting spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: fighting spam
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 00:27:00 -0400

on Thu, May 09, 2002 at 09:49:36PM -0400, Michael D. Thomas wrote:
> Hmmm.... I don't think any of the pending Federal bills is powerful
> enough for you.

Tell us something we don't already know, Thomas ;)

UCE/UBE has a pretty straightforward definition. Unfortunately, the
folks who make money from spammers (ISPs) and the folks who defend
their practices (DMA, others) have enough money to lobby on behalf of
all the ignorant chickenboner fraud cases out there. So, we get lousy
legislation (which is often worse than none at all, because it merely
legitimizes non-fringe cases of UCE/UBE while making absolutely no
difference to the real frauds. I mean, come on. What spammer is going
to shy away from the practice when the only way he can break the law
is to lie about who he is, where the mail came from, and how to opt
out, all of which are difficult for the average recipient to figure
out?

Most of the spam coming through our servers these days is coming from
open proxies, abused formmail scripts, and from - *surprise* - legit
ISPs who've sold network and rack space to scumbags, and who won't
nuke their scumbag customers unless enough people complain.