internetworkers - fighting spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: fighting spam
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:00:34 -0400

Revisiting an old topic, namely how to effectively fight spam, McAfee
has come out with a product called "Spam Killer," which not only filters
incoming email for spam, but also offers a tool to automatically send
complaints to the spammer's ISP.

"Fight back against spammers
If you want to fight back, SpamKiller makes it easy to send complaints.
Send automatic or manual complaints, make your email address look
invalid to spammers and much more. SpamKiller automatically finds and
suggests the relevant email addresses in both headers and text, so
complaining to spammers, Web site hosts, ISPs or anybody else just takes
a few mouse clicks. The result: more spammers have their accounts
cancelled. "

http://mcafee.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=55854&PN=5&SP=
10007&SID=39692&PID=379565&cid=3231&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=55854

I'm sure some of this is not much more than marketing hype, but how
effective do you think a tool like this would be? This may save us from
having to build our own anti-spam tool like we discussed several weeks
back.

- Bill

Bill Geschwind
Technical Assistance Manager
Department of Technology and Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs, University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510 (919) 962-5629
Chapel Hill, NC 27599 geschwin AT email.unc.edu