internetworkers - Don Rosenberg Interview!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Don Rosenberg Interview!
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 00:13:55 -0400

Our own Don Rosenberg was recently interviewed by Software Market Solution.

http://www.softwaremarketsolution.com/

Many quotes quite applicable to our recent discussions, including this one:

"It is true that Microsoft is trying to move upward from the desktop through
the departmental server and into the enterprise level, but Linux has the
technical advantage in this space. Linux, being a UNIX clone, is trying to
move downward onto the desktop, but Microsoft is trying to unlearn all its
stand-alone desktop heritage and grow into a networking system. That's the
classical battlefield between the two. But the new conflict is based on
Microsoft's being willing to look beyond the operating system and with Dot-Net
(.NET) try to become the plumbing of the Internet, sitting between all users,
and handling their tasks and data through its own software, protocols, and
servers. Its strategy is like Java to be OS-independent and Web-accessible. We
are only beginning to see this conflict shaping up."

Congrats!

  • Don Rosenberg Interview!, Michael D. Thomas, 04/25/2002