internetworkers - Surplus computers (UNC & Duke)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lisa C. Boyd" <lisa AT ptdesigns.biz>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Surplus computers (UNC & Duke)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:16:14 -0400

Bill wrote:
Or looking at this from another standpoint, my boss at UNC tells me that
when I prepare to take old machines to surplus, that I should wipe all of
the software off of the hard drive, including the OS, mainly to avoid
liability issues in the case that sensitive information should be on the
computer when it was taken out of service. If I have a batch of computers
(usually a dozen or three at a time) to take to Ye Ole Surplus Shoppe, I'll
be damned if I spend a day installing an OS on each of them. They get them
on a pallet with empty hd's. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I
understand, computers from UNC's surplus shop end up at central surplus in
Raleigh, where they are refurbished with prison labor and then distributed
to more needy school districts throughout the state.

Hi Bill,

I have connections with Duke and the way they are handling their surplus computers. Your email caught my attention and I was wondering if you could share some more information with me either on-list or off? I know the computers have to be wiped clean and I was wondering what you use to do this? and how secure it is? I've heard that fdisk is not enough, so that's why I'm asking. Duke seems to be going through some strict requirements to make sure sensitive information does not get out. I'd be interested to hear what other universities/hospitals are doing.

The system software is reloaded onto the computers. Duke bought the computer and the price of the computer included one OS license. Since they are replacing these older computers with newer computers with new licenses, they feel it's ok to resell the old computers with an OS on it.

Lisa Boyd
< new member going back to lurk status :) >

  • Surplus computers (UNC & Duke), Lisa C. Boyd, 04/22/2002