internetworkers - Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Linux, AOL/TimeWarner, and the future of computing
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:35:05 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Steven Champeon wrote:
->Well, for some of us, the "early days" were in '94 :)

Oh, web design, yeah, that's LUXURY, innit.

No Pretty Pictures - No Far Flung Links - No Song and Dance - Just text,
the old-fashioned way, like the internet used to be in the old days blah
blah blah...., we had to use VT100's and remember UNIX commands and
everything ran at 2400 baud, if we were lucky!

Lux'ry.

We had a Decwriter, running at 27 baud with out any ink in it. We had to
prick our fingers to drain enough blood to use for ink, remember 7
different AT commands to dial up to a TOPS-20 machine and then, we got to
run FINGER and TELNET, if we were lucky! Lux'ry! We had to drive over to
MIT, pick the locks to the AI lab, steal the manuals to the old PDP-1,
then log-in with the console keypad in octal, and all we could do was see
how many users were logged on, if we were lucky! Ah, you tell that to the
youth of today and they just don't believe you. Aye. Aye. Aye.

from http://www.sover.net/~josefs/, long since dead and abandoned

--
----
"It is a time for all people of all religions to hug each other and if