internetworkers - Offtopic: Gamelan concert at UNC Friday, 1/13/2002

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Offtopic: Gamelan concert at UNC Friday, 1/13/2002
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:35:14 -0500

http://www.unc.edu/depts/music/gamelan.html

There's a gamelan concert at 8pm tonight at UNC at Hill Hall. A description
of the concert is at the link above.

Central Javanese Gamelan
"This ensemble of instruments, recently purchased from Wonogiri, Central
Java, is the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill's first Indonesian
ensemble. Funded by a generous donation from David and Becky Pardue, with
considerable support from the College of Arts and Science and the University
Center for International Studies, the instruments arrived on Campus in
December of 2000. By February 2001, we had polished all the instruments
(necessary as the sea air wrecked havoc on them in-transit), restrung the
various string instruments, tuned up the drums, and lugged all three tons of
metal to the Chapel Hill Museum (at Franklin and Boundary Streets) our
present, temporary home."

If anyone's interested in going drop me a note...

--
Michael Czeiszperger
Web Performance Inc.

  • Offtopic: Gamelan concert at UNC Friday, 1/13/2002, Michael Czeiszperger, 01/18/2002